In an effort to take advantage of Snapchat’s popular Bitmoji avatars, Facebook introduced 3D avatars to its platform in June 2020. Since then, Facebook’s parent company Meta has built this existing feature and started rolling out avatars on Instagram. For more users. With this feature, you can create and share your custom avatars on the platform. In this article, we have detailed How to Make and Use an Instagram Avatar in Stories.
What is an Instagram Avatar?
Instagram’s avatar feature allows you to create and share Bitmoji-like stickers to represent yourself on the platform. You have the option to customize your avatar and make it look just like you. After you’ve set up your avatar, you can choose to use it in your stories and send messages to friends.
How to Make Your Own Instagram Avatar
- Open your Instagram profile from the bottom navigation bar and tap on the hamburger menu in the top right corner. From the pop-up menu, select “Settings” to access the Instagram settings page.
2. Now, click on “Account” and choose “Avatar” to set your avatar on Instagram.
3. Now you get a Bitmoji-like editor interface to customize your avatar. Here, you can modify skin color, hair, face, eyes, eyebrows, glasses, nose, mouth, facial and body hair, clothes, head coverings, piercings on the ears, and even add hearing devices to your avatar. Instagram also offers you a variety of templates to get you started and then you can customize your avatar more easily.
4. After customizing the avatar, press Done at the top left and choose Save Changes to keep the changes made to your avatar.
Share Your Instagram Avatar on Stories
To share your Instagram avatar on Stories, open the story creation UI and tap on the sticker icon in the upper right corner. From the list of stickers, choose “Avatar” to access your avatar.
You will now see the stickers created based on your avatar. Tag your photo and hit the “Your Story” button to add the photo to your Instagram story.
Share Instagram Avatar Emojis in DMs
- You also have the option to use your Instagram avatar in direct messages. Open the chat window, tap the sticker icon in the text box in the right corner and choose “Avatar” to see emojis based on your avatar.
- Choose the poster you want to send and voila! The recipient will receive your avatar as a message, adding a personal touch to your conversations.
Use 3D Avatars on Instagram, Facebook, & Messenger
While 3D avatars may not be to everyone’s taste, it’s good to see that Instagram offers more ways to help users express themselves on the platform in addition to emojis, GIFs, stickers, and more. Do you like Instagram avatars over established alternatives like Snapchat’s Bitmoji and Apple’s Memoji? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.